Sunday, April 1, 2012

a different sort of Saturday

My dear friend Susan invited me to speak to a group of women about how chickens came into my life and the many benefits of having hens.  The women had just finished reading the wonderful books The Chicken Chronicles by Alice Walker and Sheepish by Catherine Friend.  Catherine Friend was invited to speak the previous week.  She's a tough act to follow!!

I was nervous and excited to talk to the group.  I think I rambled on a bit at times (who??  ME??!!) but I was thrilled at the opportunity to share my love of chickens and the amazing and unexpected ways they have touched our lives and influenced our relationship with food, family and community. 

As soon as I got home I needed some chicken time.  When I took Chirpy out, Redder flew to the edge of the box (a new trick she's learned in the past week) and perched there, waiting patiently for me to take her too.  She hopped onto my hand and off we went into the dining room where they spent time pecking at meal worms and running relays across my arms, shoulders and back.  It was the perfect way to spend the afternoon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment