Wednesday, August 15, 2012

eggs, eggs & more eggs

I know I'm kind of a nerd girl, but I get very excited every time I collect eggs.  If I'm home during the day I check the nesting boxes several times to see the treasures within.  Today I collected 5 of them before noon - busy girls!!

Eggs fascinate me.  I think they're beautiful AND delicious.  Lately we've been enjoying various forms of a simple salad with mixed greens, warm vinaigrette dressing, bacon and a fried egg on top.  It's so satisfying to crack those fresh eggs into a pan and see the gorgeous yellow/orange yolks and viscous whites.  We know our girls are eating well and it shows!!

Eric is also eating well, as you can see!
If you've been following along, you may remember that Stella had some egg-laying issues a few months ago.  She was on antibiotics for a few days which meant we couldn't eat her eggs for a month.  I could NOT bring myself to throw out her beautiful eggs though.  So, I saved them and got a little crafty.  I used onion skins to make a natural dye and scavenged leaves and flowers from plants in the back yard.  I put the leaves and flowers on the surface of each egg, tied them up in old pantyhose then dyed them.  I love how they turned out.





No comments:

Post a Comment